Wednesday, August 03, 2005

WHOOPEEEEE!



I made whoopie pies on Saturday. One of my boyfriend’s buddies is on vacation with his family at the beach this week and invited a bunch of us over on Sunday, so I made them to bring with us. We didn’t go, though. The weather was dreary, my boyfriend was pretty tired and I was in a funk over having to go back to work. The filling is made with Crisco. Yeah, that’s right – Crisco! And it’s damn good!

We had a thunderstorm Tuesday night that made me just about jump out of my skin. Typically thunderstorms don’t bother me, but I was in the middle of a very creepy dream when I was woken by a nasty clap of thunder. I was so petrified I couldn’t move until I realized my boyfriend was still in bed (he often gets up halfway through the night and goes out on the couch). Yeah I’m a wuss. I know it. The storm lasted a good half hour and was pretty intense the whole time. It was just one in a large string of storms that stretched across much of Massachusetts. The lightning was like a strobe light. If we had a disco ball in the place we could’ve pretended we were in a dance club.

“Yeah, baby! Shake that ass!”

When I got into work yesterday our phones were knocked out, the air conditioning wasn’t working, nor was the drive-up teller’s area, and our ATM machines were fried. We’re not sure if lightning hit the building directly or hit surrounding wires and the current traveled into the building. We got the phones and air-conditioning back just before noon. Before the A/C came back on some of us were trying to convince Marketing we could write off an office kegger. They weren’t going for it, but it was worth a try!

The first day back to work went as well as could be expected. The weather Monday morning was gloomy and rainy – fit my dreary mood like a glove. It took until early afternoon just to get through and deal with all my email. Fortunately I had no voice mail. I don’t know how that happened but I’m not complaining!

I received a lot of “You look so rested”, “You look great”, etc., compliments on Monday, too. It was nice. One person told me my spirits were too high for it to be my first day back from vacation! As I always say (and try to always do) – It’s better to laugh than cry.

I need to get back on the *healthy eating and consistent exercise wagon*. Weighed myself this morning and was annoyed to see I gained back 5 pounds while on vacation (I'd lost 15 before we left). Half way through our week at the beach I stopped paying attention to what I was eating. And drinking. Alcohol isn’t exactly diet friendly. The only time I really drink is when we’re at the beach. The rest of the time I’ll have a drink here and there but when we’re at the beach, I want at least one cold drink in my hand every single day, thankyouverymuch! So, I’m back to eating healthier today. I'm following the Weight Watchers Flex Points program. As for exercising, I need to figure out if I’m going to a) renew my membership at the gym and get diligent about going, b) invest in a piece of equipment such as an elliptical trainer, or c) just use the exercise tapes I currently have. But I can take just so much of Richard Simmons.

1 comment:

tj said...

If you keep tempting me with pictures of delicious looking food I swear I'll come to MA and demand you feed me.