Thursday, March 13, 2008

She's Alive!

Lucky for both of you who read this blog, the course I'm enrolled in right now highly suggests that we journal on a daily basis. I'm not saying I'll be able to post every day but compared to how much I've been around here lately, anything will be an improvement. So, strap yourselves in and get ready for more excitement from the life of the mundane!

Okay, but really. HI VALERIE! I've missed hanging out at your place. I'm going to stop over this evening to say hello (not enough time right now - I'm on my lunch break, and still need to give the kittehs their treats before they revolt). OH! And thank you for getting to the bottom of the MASH game for me! Your investigation revealed that I did play it when I was young! I'd completely forgotten that's what it was.

So, yes, I'm still taking college edumacation courses. Right now I'm enrolled in an English Comp class, and am horrified at my beginnings. Turns out you forget a hell of a lot more than you think you did since high school. I can look at a sentence and know the structure is wrong, and fix it so that it looks right. However, this whole simple sentence, complex-compound sentence thing, along with proper adverb and adjective placement thing is going to push me over the edge. I talked with the prof last night and he gave me some really good examples that I wrote down in an effort to remember going forward, otherwise I'm going to continue to suck in this course. And that pisses me off, because I love to write. Between you and me, I honestly don't give a rat's ass if a sentence is wrong because it contains an out-of-place adverb that can be uttered only by the Pope during every other year that Easter falls in April. But for the sake of doing well in this course, I kind of, sort of, have to. At least the prof is cool. For once, a teacher "gets" me. Before our conversation ended last night, he thanked me for having a personality in the class forum, and in person. There are quite a few folks in the course who are pretty lifeless. I can't remember a single class forum discussion in any of the classes I've taken so far where any of the teachers or the other students "got" me. So thank you Senor P for your understanding, and for your own wry sense of humor. Hope my future holds more of your courses. I'll bring the Swiss cheese and mustard.

I had an interesting job interview last month that, if anything, made me feel absolutely fantastic about myself, my intelligence and my capabilities. It was for an Administrative Assistant position at a brokerage firm. Roughly 10 to 15 minutes into the interview, the guy told me flat out that he wasn't going to hire me. The reason? He said that between what I was telling him, and what he saw on my resume, I was going to be bored inside of a year and leave. He went on to say that I was too smart to continue doing admin work.

Wow.

That was a hugely refreshing ego booster. My current employer squashed that pretty quickly though. But I don't want to get started on my ire towards them right now.

The cats are starting to swing from the curtains. I'd best get their treats.

More later!

1 comment:

Valerie said...

hi Becky!!!
now will you email me so i can get your email (iffn you're OK with that)? :o) valerielynn17@sbcglobal.net